DePuy Synthes formed through the $21.3 billion merger of the DePuy and Synthes companies in 2012 and are part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies.
They now offer the world’s most comprehensive portfolio of orthopaedic and neuro products and services for joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neuro, cranio-maxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials.
The objective of the project was
Our first step in our process was to find out who we were building this dashboard and what information will these users need. We organised and facilitated a workshop with Depuy staff which enabled us to get an understanding of the customers business and allow us to develop Personas of our key users of the system and a draft prototype by the end of the first day.
Our users of the system has 2 key interest areas. Our first persona was focused on sales and our second persona was interested in stock/inventory. The challenge was could we create a dashboard that worked for both users and allow them access the information they needed in a friendly seamless way.
Utilizing Balsamiq, we prototyped and iterated with the business over the next few weeks until on paper we had a prototype that met the requirements of our personas.
We could clearly see the limitations of using wireframes for capturing and communicating the intended interactivity. On the other side, Tableau offers rich interactions and a good learning curve so the team opted for pairing with BI experts in the company and continuing the prototyping in Tableau. We used generated (dummy) data source so we didn’t have to wait for the development team to complete integration with the client’s systems. This made the prototyping much more agile and the client loved the ability to interact with the data to see what insights they can develop in each iteration.
The key business benefits for Depuy aim to achieve using these dashboards as part of its BI initiative:
Developed Personas of potential users of the system and validated designs against these personas at all stages
Wireframed and iterated the designs using Balsamiq until we had a prototype that met requirements for each persona